Photo. Refugees waiting to be admitted to the Marienfelde Refugee Center, August 14, 1961
© DHM-Schirner
You are here: Home Page | The Museum | Association

Commemoration of Flight and Emigration

On 30 June 1995 the Association unveiled a memorial plaque mounted to the facade of the entrance building. Present at the ceremony were Berlin Senator Ingrid Stahmer and donor Georg Gafron, on behalf of “Radio 100.6.”

The plaque commemorates the significance of the former refugee camp during the Cold War.

Memorial plaque with an inscription commenmorating the importance of the Marienfelde Refugee Camp, © ENM
Inscription
From 1953 to 1990, this building, the Marienfelde refugee Center, was the first place of refuge for those fleeing East Germany on their way to freedom. During this period, with the assistance of German and Allied authorities, as well as voluntary organisations, more than 1,350,000 individuals were accommodated, cared for and transferred to the federal states in what was then West Germany.

Berlin, 30 June 1995
Erinnerungsstätte Notaufnahmelager
Marienfelde e.V.